Weight Loss

Monday, October 27, 2008

I stopped at Costco on the way home and couldn't help but notice all the little boys -- I'd guess 4 to 6 years old. They couldn't stay still or quiet, whether they were riding in carts or walking with their parents.
I remember when my "little" boy was like that -- and in so many ways still is.
But...
My little boy is now taller than I am. His voice has deepened, his shoulders broadened. The dressy clothes we bought at the end of April, for our family vacation, no longer fit -- pant legs and shirt sleeves are at least 4 inches too short now. Even with slightly long hair, I cannot mistake him for a girl in the swimming pool.
He will be 14 in December.
He's no longer a little boy, but a young man.

I miss my little mama's boy. The one who insisted on crawling into bed with me every night; at least until I was too pregnant with his younger sister. The one who wouldn't go to Sunday School unless I stayed with him -- at first right next to him, then the row behind, then the back of the room. He always checked to make sure I was still there.

He's a smart aleck, with a quirky sense of humor (like his mom). We like a lot of the same things (peanut butter m&ms, fantasy and scifi, silly jokes). He can be such a nut :D

He can also be seriously cruel to his little sister. And I don't get it. All his friends parents tell us what a wonderful young man he is, so polite and considerate and helpful. Except where his little sister is concerned. I keep hoping that he'll outgrow this...

No matter how much bigger than me he gets, no matter how deep his voice becomes, he will allows be my little boy.

2 comments:

Constance said...

That cruel streak towards his sister is something to watch really closely and nip in the bud immediately.

Right now he is forming how he will treat women in the future.

Your wonderful young man could grow up to be a wonderful boyfriend or finally wonderful husband, if he rememebers that being kind is more of a strength than being cruel...

Robin said...

Hi Annie,
Believe me, he does not get away with it. And for being so much smaller and younger, she is pretty good at holding her own. It is very much a sibling rivalry issue as he was the 'baby' for 6 years, a real 'mama's boy' and then she came along. But there are more times when they get along fine than not.
Robin